Becoming a Circle Craft Member:
Circle Craft Co-operative is seeking new local artists in fine craft to join our Circle Craft membership.
Circle Craft is on the ancestral lands of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. We are a unique BC Artist Co-operative dedicated to providing opportunities for emerging and established craftspeople alike to connect with the community. Encompassing traditional, contemporary, one-of-kind, and production works, our mission is to support and promote our artists as well as excellence in BC craft. To represent the artists of BC, Circle Craft is seeking local artists to participate in our co-operative in all areas of fine craft.
Formed in 1972, Circle Craft has grown to become a major force in the marketing and promotion of quality craft utilizing a ‘direct from the artist’ approach. Circle Craft is self sustaining and is supported by the commission on sales and participating fees.
Who should apply?
- British Columbian residents
- Artists with training and/or experience in areas of fine craft and practicing art in BC (past training includes mentorships, self-study, workshops and etc.)
- Artists with a demonstrated ongoing artistic development and commitment to art practice.
- Please note training in an academic institution is not mandatory.
Any British Columbia resident whose work has been accepted by the Circle Craft Selection jury may become a member. Members pay an annual fee of a total of $63 ($60 + GST) due January 1st of every year. The fee includes five shares at $5.00, all redeemable when the member leaves the co-op. (Note: each member is a single voting entity regardless of the number of shares owned.)
APPLICATION DEADLINE MAY 31, 2021
The Selections Committee considers submissions from local artists who are interested in marketing their work through Circle Craft Co-operative on Granville Island. The Committee consists of Circle Craft Board members, Circle Craft Co-op Members, and individuals from the community who have an interest or professional association with craft. The Co-op manager will be advising with the committee. The submission process is divided into 2 stages: Selections Stage 1 and Selections Stage 2.
The Selections Committee bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- excellence of design and handmade fabrication
- uniqueness and/or originality of concept and design
- is the work a duplication of what is being produced by the existing membership
- does the work fall within the guidelines noted below on non-acceptable work
Selections Stage 1
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 31 2021
Submissions to the Selections Committee should include the following:
- 6+ digital images of the artist’s work in jpeg format, high quality
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Artist statement
- Short description about materials and art-making process
- Suggested retail prices for all images submitted (Circle Craft members consignment will receive 55/45 under $1000 and 60/40 over $1,000 retail)
- full contact information, including phone number, current mailing address and email address
Selections Stage 1 application may be submitted throughout the year for the next jury session.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 31 2021
Selections Stage 2
If an artist’s work passes Selections Stage 1, the Selections Committee will then invite the individual to submit physical samples of the work for further consideration before a final decision is made. A non-refundable Selections Fee of $26.25 ($25 + GST) will be applied.
PLEASE NOTE: At the present time, Circle Craft does not accept the following:
- greeting cards
- flower arrangements or potpourri
- decorated stones, sea shells or other found objects
- transfers, decals, decoupage
- liquid embroidery
- work made from kits, commercial patterns (as from pattern books or magazines)
- or from assembled bought and found objects
- work made with a commercial product as the focal point
- work made with commercial moulds
- prints, paintings, graphics
- food or cosmetic products